Archive for the 'Building the Portuguese Military Factory of El Mina' Category

Building the Portuguese Military Factory of El Mina

June 15, 1482

The first contact between Europe and the Gold Coast dates from 1470, when a party of Portuguese landed. In 1482, the Portuguese built Elmina Castle (São Jorge da Mina) as a permanent trading base. Thomas Windham made the first recorded English trading voyage to the coast in 1553. During the next three centuries, the English, Danes, Dutch, Germans, and Portuguese controlled various parts of the coastal areas.

 

Elmina Castle

Elmina Castle

 

 

Advertisements